Yesterday, we prayerfully watched people. Today, we get more active by prayer walking.
Day 13: Prayer Walking For Our Community
Prayer walking is a way of getting present to your community and praying for your community in the name of Jesus. It’s active engagement, intended to get us out to where the prayer is needed, letting the Holy Spirit guide our hearts and minds, even as he guides our feet.
So our practice for today is very straightforward. Go for a walk, and as you do, pray. This can be done alone, or with a friend (though you should tell them why you are walking and they should be willing to join you in audible prayer as you walk together. And if walking is an issue for you, then substitute driving for walking. The point is to get out there.)
I don’t want to complicate the practice with more words, because it really is that simple. However, here are 13 areas into which you could pray as you walk.
Pray for God’s kingdom to come and his will to be done, in the name of Jesus:
- In the families who occupy the homes you pass by
- In the schools of our community; for teachers, principals, admin and support staff, as well as the students themselves.
- For the flourishing of local businesses, farms and non-profits
- For those in our community who are lonely and hurting and who may be hidden from sight: shut-ins, seniors, immigrants or people struggling with physical or mental illness
- For those places of healing (hospitals, hospices) as well as all those who work to bring healing and care to many (doctors, nurses, social workers, counselors, and care workers of all kinds)
- For those who have suffered recent loss, such as divorce, a bad health diagnosis or bankruptcy
- For the animals, soil, air and water–for health and blessing
- For the abused and the abusers–mercy and healing and justice
- Against any hidden darkness that seeks to destroy–principalities and powers and the work of the evil one
- For the local churches you may pass, their pastors, leaders, parishioners and witness to the community
- For the lost!! For every man, woman and child to come to know Jesus’ love for them
- For local leadership–political, ministerial, social, medical–any influencers you can think of
- For the growth and health of your whole community, that your neighbourhood, city or county may become a better, more loving community for everyone who lives there.
These are just suggestions–the main point is to get out there and pray as the Holy Spirit leads you to pray.
The fact is, Saturday is a great day for a walk. So let’s go for that walk, and as we do, let’s talk with our Father about his world, for the sake of its healing, restoration and salvation.
(Want to find out more about prayer walking? Check out this great post on prayer walking from WayMakers.)
Here’s my prayer for us today: Spirit, guide our feet today, as we walk with you and pray for our communities. May we go to the places that need us most, and intercede for them as you would have us do. You are the one who gave everything–even your own Son–to see the lost found and the broken healed. May we walk with you today, and pray for your kingdom to come and your will to be done, on this bit of earth, even as it is in heaven. Amen.
And hey, after you’ve walked, let us know where you went in the comments section! Let’s celebrate together that places which received prayer today.